Monday, February 4, 2019

Shrimp Journal- Closed loop air system

 Yesterday's projects in the shrimp room were tearing down the the white graveled neo tank and setting up the closed loop air system. 
The 10g's really aren't making really good tanks for a dirted bottom tank. The tannins make the water so yellow, and I really don't like it.


It's working great in the 20 tall where I have plenty of plants and they can grow big and tall. More water means the tannins are diluted a bit more, so it's doesn't look as yucky.


I ended up with just a thin layer of gravel after I rinsed and rinsed to get rid of all the potting soil, so I decided to just keep it simple.  The taller plants that were in this tank will go into the 36g out in the living room. 


The gravel will turn somewhat tan-ish as the brown diatoms and biofilm cover everything in the tank, but the water won't be so ugly yellowed.

The other project yesterday was going and buying the pvc pipe, the clips to hold it up at the ceiling, and the fittings to make the corners and the down pipe to the air pump.




Scott put up the pvc pipes for the air system delivering air to the sponge filters and air lifters for the breeder boxes. I ran all the lines and connected them to each tank. Super happy with the way this turned out. The bigger tube from the air pump to the system gives me a lot more air than the way I had it rigged with a hundred pieces of airline, connector tees, and air regulators.


No comments:

Post a Comment