Thursday, February 7, 2019

Shrimp Journal- Moved the Blue Dreams- Tank reset

The Blue Dreams got a tank move last night. The white graveled 10g that I reset over the last weekend became their new home. 






I can actually see them again. They're poking around and seem just as happy in here as they did in the Fluval.

The six gallon Fluval got a make over today. None of the wild plant I collected over the spring and summer made it. I tried adding different plants, but they all died. The substrate was potting soil with white gravel over top. It looked so pretty when I set it up.


Then after the plants died off and the tannins built up, I did a couple large water changes and added new plants. 


I never could keep a head of the tannin build up though. I couldn't get nice shots of the shrimp because the water was so yellow.


Last night I netted out all the shrimp I could find, and today I drained the tank. I found 8 juvies  and one adult hiding in there once I got most of the water and all the decor out. They joined their friends in the 10g. Took the Flual tank outside, rinsed and rinsed until all the potting soil floated out. Back into the shrimp room and refilled with a mix of remineralized RO and tap water till I got a GH reading of 4. Again this tank is simple with just a few rocks, plants, and a piece of driftwood. The gravel won't stay that pretty white as the diatoms and algae grow. I might go with Bloody Marys or Fire Reds in here. They look better on a darker substrate, but I don't want to reset it yet again, and I don't have any black gravel today.

After the reset

No comments:

Post a Comment